Saturday, July 19, 2008

Almost done...

Well, after a ton of man hours and vision, our backyard retreat is almost complete. David and both of our fathers are going to be erecting our split rail fence in the next couple of weeks. But, besides that I think we are almost done. At the end of the summer I'd like to build an above ground garden, being so late in the season, I just want it done before snowfall so that I will be able to plant next spring.
This summer we were able to have a 10x12 shed built and painted. The shingles match the house as does the green trim and the beige walls. The lattice will be installed this week and I'll be adding some plants on both sides as well.
We also built an island in the back with some really nice plants and a weeping cherry tree. It turned out better than I thought it would.
David and his brother-in-law Dave built our fire pit and we have really broken it in well. We used the same block that we used in the front yard so it all looks really uniform.
We replaced the deck that was here when we bought the house with a much sturdier deck and we had soffit & effacia built underneath it along with gutters and a down spout. This way we almost get an extra room underneath and we can have furniture with cushions since we don't have to worry about the weather ruining it. So we have our new swing under the deck and we bought some new furniture for extra seating as well.
We have been working really hard at having our little "paradise" in the backyard. As David always says "with my back and Kelly's brains, we can do anything". I'm sure he is wishing that my "great ideas" would stop soon!
The only thing the kids asked for was the fire pit so they could make smores...and often, and a small swimming pool. So, last night we had a fire and today they spent the day in the pool with the neighbors and Nate's BFF, Eli. The greatest thing in life is to see your children happy. Nathan sat in the pool today, put his feet up on the side, took a drink from his juice box and exclaimed "ahhh, this is the life!" I couldn't have said it better myself!
We are almost done with the front yard...