Sunday, October 16, 2011

When one door closes, another one opens

This weekend marked the end of Kadence's first year of cheerleading for the South Park Eagles. I combined the two issues that she has therapy for, her speech, and her gross motor skills. It was a bit of a struggle at first but she has really shown us how tough she really is! I had a great time coaching her cheer squad, I got to make sure she wasn't left behind and it gave me a chance to get to know some of her friends. Let's face it, in today's world a child's friends have a major influence on them, so if I can be a positive influence on them, I'm sure going to try. I want to take a minute to thank everyone who came to Kadence's games and braved the heat, and the cold! It really meant a lot to us to have your support, thank you so much!
While I do get to get some of my evenings free from cheer practice, we signed Kadence up for Girl Scouts, she will be a Daisy Scout. There are going to be about 6 girls in her trooop so far, and guess who is the leader of the troop, you guessed it, me! I was a Girl Scout for about 10 years so I have a good knowledge base of what to expect and again, it will be the best thing for Kadence and I will have control on when we have meetings, activities, and field trips so I can ensure she won't miss anything. That was one of the main reasons I decided to lead. Unfortunately, Nathan's Cub Scout meetings have now fallen every other weekend that we don't have him, and his biological father hasn't taken him to any of his meetings or activities so we had to withdrawal Nathan from Cub Scouts. He has been involved in scouting for 5 years now, and I want to at least give Kadence the opportunity that Nathan had. So if that means I am the leader, so be it. I am looking forward to sharing this experience with Kadence, and the good thing is the Girl Scouts camp in hotels! No bugs and dirt for us girls! I wonder if the Omni would give us a good rate, if only we knew someone who worked there?